Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"To Facebook or Not to Facebook?"

1. Write about your initial impressions of Facebook, the benefits and risks associated with using Facebook, and an explanation of how reading the article and discussing in class informed your thinking.

1. At first, I thought only college students used Facebook. My sister had one and I thought it was way better than Myspace. So in the summer of my freshman year, I made my first account on Facebook and started using it. Since then, there has been new features on Facebook which some people liked, and others didn't. Although I personally found it hard to get used to the new changes, I didn't mind it after couple of weeks. The major benefit of Facebook is the capability to reconcile the lost relationships between families, friends, co-workers, etc. For me, for instance, I have family members in South Korea and talking to them on the phone would cost a lot of money. However, through Facebook, I can send a message to them for free and get a response as soon as they see it. It's that simple. The risks of using this is that personal information and other vital facts are known to the world without you knowing it. After reading the article, I took notice of the advertisements and other facts it stated and I quickly deactivated my account. I didn't do it solely because of the article; I did it because FB is wasting too much of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment