Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

  • Watching the Video:
a)I learned from the video that the searches we do influences the future search results. I believed, like the rest of the people, that everyone would have the same results when he/she would type in something. However,the video clearly showed that two people searching the same thing in the same time and place, can have totally different search results.

b)I now know that some information are left out due to my personalized search history. It makes me wonder whether or not I am able to access to all the information despite the edit. I would like to have all the information so that my searches wouldn't be biased.

c)
-How long will Google, Facebook, and other companies use filter bubble to limit people from getting all the resources they need?

- Why are they doing this? To help you to make easier access to information? To limit you so that you won't have too much information? Who knows...

What we know is that we need to be aware that this is happening and inform others about this so that they too would know what's up.

d)From now on, I'm going to make my searches more precisely so that the filter bubble wouldn't automatically direct me to my common search results. I won't rely on my search on one search engine; I will use multiple search engines so that I'll know everything I need to know.

  • Researching Shakespeare After the Video:
Yesterday, I researched about William Shakespeare through Google by typing in "Who was Shakespeare" and used the first two websites (wasn't Wikipedia!). In some of my previous researches, I used Wikipedia and the first results were always from Wikipedia. However, since I haven't used Wikipedia in a while, I see other website links that come before it. It's really cool/afraid of how it can do this in a short period of time.  Now back to Shakespeare. Instead of typing Who was Shakespeare, I typed Who was William Shakespeare and got different results. Again, I noticed that Wikipedia wasn't the first link. Then, I typed, "Who really was Shakespeare, and again got new results. It amazes me of how one word difference can change the result. I was able to get some new information that I wasn't able to with my first search. Truly, the video gave me a new insight on how to do my searches online.

No comments:

Post a Comment